Home :: Newsroom :: EGUSD in the Spotlight
EGUSD in the Spotlight
Bright Lights, Big Talent
EGUSD employees steal the spotlight at staff talent showcase
Sierra Steppers win “People’s Choice” award
On Saturday, November 15, over 575 employees, their families and community members packed the Sheldon High School Performing Arts Center for the first-ever EGUSD Staff Talent Showcase. The showcase – a special EGUSD 50th Anniversary event that raised money for student scholarships – gave 22 employee acts the chance to display their talents.
Photo: Florin High School dance teacher Karmjeet Bindra dazzles the crowd by playing “Ballade in F Minor, Op. 52” by Chopin.
The show got off to a rousing start with a special guest performance by the Superintendent’s Cabinet dancing to the Beach Boys “Be True To Your School.” Cabinet members L. Steven Winlock, Ed.D., Christina Penna, Nancy Lucia, Richard Odegaard, Xavier De La Torre, Ed.D., Robert Pierce, Elizabeth Graswich and Greg Lindner joined Superintendent Steven M. Ladd, Ed.D. in a colorful performance where Cabinet members wore apparel from the district’s high schools.
Photo: Trevor Harding prepares to cut his brother – Kyle Harding in half.
After Cabinet’s presentation, the show continued with the following performances:
- Kerr Staff Quartet (Band) – Cecil Duke, Nancy Kreis, Phillip Mitchell III, Mark Meredith – Joseph Kerr Middle School
- “Better Things to Do” (Vocal) – Julie Radke – Sunrise Elementary School
- “Rise” (Band) – Gator Trax – Randall Rice, Craig Kershner, Bob Eitel, Marc Pepin –Anna Kirchgater Elementary School
- “Adelaide’s Lament” (Dramatic Monologue) – Karen Cornfield – Helen Carr Castello Elementary School
- “Hotel California” (Instrumental) – Midlife Detonation – Randall Rice – Anna Kirchgater Elementary School
- “The Circle of Life” (Sign language performance) – DHOH Pride – Vanessa Light, Terry Orsi, Jeannie Finn, Polly Fischer, Stephanie Rexroth, Donna Dullanty – Irene B. West Elementary School
- “The Greatest Love of All” (Vocal) – Akira Bailey – Mary Tsukamoto Elementary School
- “Can’t Touch This” (Dance) – Sierra Steppers – Jason Campbell, Kristi Matsumoto, Katie Hendricks, Charmaine Reyersbach, Bill Gould, Debborah Flores, Janiece Howard, Sylvia Molina, Jennifer Beronio, Taleen Drolet, Stacey Dart – Sierra Enterprise Elementary School; Kyle Harding – Sunrise Elementary School; David Axtman – Roy Herburger Elementary School
- “Leader of the Band” (Vocal/Instrumental) – Jesus Carrera – Technology Services
- “Trevor Wyatt Magic” (Magician) – Trevor Harding and Michelle Fennell – Pleasant Grove Elementary School; Kyle Harding – Sunrise Elementary School
- “Classic Rock Medley” (Band) – Heat Ticket – Mark Cerutti, Ken Smith, Steve Torres, Emily Diehl, James Collins, Charil Daniels, Darrel Hale, Teresa Sewell –Florin High School; special guest Steven M. Ladd, Ed.D – EGUSD Superintendent
- “Home” (Vocal) – Karen Meeks Johnson – Barbara Comstock Morse Elementary School
- Harris Heartbeats (Band) – Kelly McCormick, Corey Hoggard, Sue Dietrich, Anthony Sanchez, Bridgette Bell, William Bajar, Felicia Bessent, David Baraza, Frances Johnson – Edward Harris, Jr. Middle School; Brie Lang – T.R. Smedberg Middle School; Garrett Perkins – substitute teacher; Kyle Blaney, Kevin McCormick and Fahiem Ahmadi – students
- “Misty” (Vocal/Instrumental) – Matt Morse – C.W. Dillard Elementary School
- “Thank You” (Vocal) – Promise – Julie De Bie, Sandee Christensen, Richard Christensen – Raymond Case Elementary School
- “Ballade in F Minor, Op. 52,” (Instrumental) – Karmjeet Bindra – Florin High School
- “New York City Juggler,” (Juggler) – Grant Adams – Franklin High School
- “On My Own,” (Vocal) – Jennifer Salcedo – Helen Carr Castello Elementary School
- “One World” (Dance) – One World – Indira Bhatti and Kaila Williams – Raymond Case Elementary School; BernNadette Best-Green and Jennifer McDonald – Elliott Ranch Elementary School; Shikha Deswal – Irene B. West Elementary School
- “Teacher” (Vocal/Instrumental) – Ross Modlin, Helen Carr Castello Elementary School
Photo: Karen Meeks Johnson sings her rendition of “Home” from the musical “The Wiz.”
The show closed with a special guest performance by Associate Superintendent of PreK-6 Education L. Steven Winlock, Ed.D. and Edward Harris, Jr. Middle School Principal Felicia Bessent. Dr. Winlock sang “Family” from the motion picture “Dreamgirls.” Bessent accompanied him on the piano.
Photo: Grant Adams – the New York City Juggler – impresses the crowd with his juggling skills.
Three judges representing various artistic backgrounds volunteered to judge the showcase: Dr. Charles Vail – a vocal professor at Sacramento City College; Dr. Jade Rosina McCutcheon – a theatre professor at University of California, Davis; and Lisa Brown – owner/director of Encore! Studio of Performing Arts in Elk Grove.
Photo: Ross Modlin charms the crowd with “Teacher,” a song he wrote about his students.
Photo: The Top 5 Winners of the EGUSD Staff Talent Showcase – Grant Adams (New York City Juggler), Michelle Fennell, Trevor Harding, Kyle Harding (Trevor Wyatt Magic), Karmjeet Bindra (pianist), Karen Meeks Johnson (vocalist) and Ross Modlin (vocalist/instrumentalist).
In the end, the top five acts were recognized with medals and gifts baskets filled with prizes from local sponsors. The top five acts were:
- “Trevor Wyatt Magic,” Trevor Harding and Michelle Fennell (Pleasant Grove Elementary School), Kyle Harding (Sunrise Elementary School)
- Karen Meeks Johnson (Barbara Comstock Morse Elementary School)
- Karmjeet Bindra (Florin High School)
- “New York City Juggler,” Grant Adams (Franklin High School)
- Ross Modlin (Helen Carr Castello Elementary School)
The audience at the talent showcase also had the chance to have their say in their favorite acts through the People’s Choice Award. At the end of the show, audience members could turn in a ballot voicing their opinion for their favorite act.
Crowd favorite “The Sierra Steppers” took home the People’s Choice Award.
Proceeds from the Talent Showcase will be used to provide scholarships for graduating seniors in the district. Two thousands dollars was raised from the Talent Showcase for scholarships. The money will go towards funding one of the Elk Grove Community Foundation’s Golden 50 scholarships, which honor the district’s anniversary.
The EGUSD Staff Talent Showcase would not have been possible without the support of the 50th Anniversary Celebration sponsors – ANOVA Architects, Cosumnes Community Services District, Hibser Yamauchi Architects, Inc., Lionakis Beaumont Design Group, Inc., Lozano Smith, Inc., Rainforth Grau Architects and Stafford King Wiese Architects – and the Staff Talent Showcase sponsors – Boulevard Bistro, Bubbles Car Wash, Daphne’s Greek Café, Elizabeth Pinkerton, In-N-Out Burger, Osaka Sushi, PepsiCo, Inc., Rubio’s Fresh Mex Restaurant, Runaway Stage Productions, Safeway and Sylvan Learning Center.
To view more photos of the EGUSD Staff Talent Showcase, visit the 50th Anniversary Celebration website at: http://www.egusd.net/50years/photos.cfm. Video clips of the performance will be posted on the 50th Anniversary website at a later date.
October 24, 2008 - Hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles visit Florin High School
October 9, 2008 - EGUSD Walks to School
October 2, 2008 - EGUSD’s Science Initiative
September 19, 2008 - Stephanie Lopez-Cox returns to Elk Grove a “Golden Girl”
September 10, 2008 - Valley High School Students Get a Start on College
August 25, 2008 - Elizabeth Pinkerton Middle School and Cosumnes Oaks High School Open
August 14, 2008 - Incoming 7th graders take a “Jump Start” into their school year
August 4, 2008 - EGUSD’s Math Initiative
July 14, 2008 - Parents and students grow and learn together at Partners Preschool
June 16, 2008 - EGUSD Goes Gold – Celebrating 50 Years of Educational Excellence
June 6, 2008 - Kaiser Permanente Rewards EGUSD Elementary students with perfect attendance with the gift of a two-wheel ride
May 30, 2008 - Sheldon High School Student Matthew King wins Elk Grove Auto Mall 2007/2008 Graduating Seniors Attendance Drive
May 20, 2008 - Harriet Eddy Middle School student wins pair of round-trip tickets from Southwest Airlines
May 21, 2008 - Elk Grove Unified and the Elk Grove Education Association Celebrate the Day of the Teacher
May 6, 2008 - Elk Grove Unified School District’s 2008 Employees of the Year
April 28, 2008 - Sacramento County Educators Host Budget Forum at State Capital
April 16, 2008 - EGUSD Launches New Attendance Campaign Videos
April 4, 2008 - Winners selected for 3rd Annual Superintendent’s Art Contest
March 26, 2008 - Megaconference Jr. 2008 - Arthur C. Butler Students Take Their Voices to the World
March 17, 2008 - Elk Grove Unified Joins Call to Fix Governor’s Proposed Budget
March 4, 2008 - Elk Grove Unified Hosts Sacramento County Superintendents’ Press Conference on State Budget Cuts
Feb. 19, 2008 - 4th Annual High School Conference helps train the leaders of the future
Jan. 16, 2008 - Laguna Creek High School hosts ConnectEd Policy Site Visit
Jan. 02, 2008 - Senior Attendance Drive returns for second year
Dec. 12, 2007 - John Ehrhardt Elementary students combine academics and community service
Dec. 03, 2007 - EGUSD’s Commitment to Service Learning Honored
Nov. 15, 2007 - Winners announced for No Excuses – Go to School Rhyme & Poster Contests
Nov. 13, 2007 - Veterans Day celebrated at Elk Grove Unified
Oct. 23, 2007 - Time of Remembrance Project and Website
Oct. 15, 2007 - Markofer Elementary offers “Donuts for Dads/Muffins for Moms"
Oct. 3, 2007 - EGUSD elementary schools participate in Walk to School Day
Sept. 18, 2007 - Options abound on new College and Career website
Link back to the EGUSD Newsroom
top of page